This recipe is one of three meals you can make from a single grocery bag! Get the grocery list and recipes for the other two dishes, Bacon Burgers with Carmelized Onions & Spicy Ziti with Sausage. So easy!
Originally aired October 22, 2013
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage or fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (smoked or regular)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 fresh chiles (red Fresno or jalapeño), sliced
- 2 frying or bell peppers (red or green), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Warmed Portuguese or ciabatta rolls, for mopping
In a cast-iron or other heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into crumbles as it browns. Transfer to a plate.
Season the chicken with paprika, salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the sausage drippings and brown on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the plate.
Cook the onion, chilies, peppers and garlic with salt and pepper until softened, 8-10 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the stock and slide the chicken and sausage back into the pan. Loosely cover with foil and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
Serve topped with the parsley.