Aired October 24, 2013
- A small handful dried porcini or mixed dried mushrooms
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound sliced cremini or mixed mushrooms
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, stems and leaves separated, each finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- Crusty bread, for serving
In a small saucepan, cook the dried mushrooms in the stock at a low, rolling boil until the mushrooms soften and the liquid reduces slightly, 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the butter and sliced fresh mushrooms to the skillet and cook until lightly browned. Add the shallots, garlic, thyme and parsley stems, and season. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes and the marsala and bring to a simmer. Add the porcini mushrooms and stock, leaving a little liquid in the pot to prevent any grit from the mushrooms from getting into the pan.
Return the chicken to the pan and cook through, 5-10 minutes. Garnish with the chopped parsley leaves; serve with bread