Aired October 29, 2013
- 12 slices good quality smoky bacon or bacon with black pepper
- For the Aioli: (you can also substitute 2/3 cup prepared mayonnaise)
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- About 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- For the Sriracha Aioli
- 2/3 cup prepared mayo/aioli or store-bought mayonnaise
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- For the Burgers:
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 rounded tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup grated onion, 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- About 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Leaf lettuce
- Sliced beefsteak tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Lightly toasted seeded burger rolls (mixed seed Amy’s Bread)
Heat oven to 375°F. Arrange the bacon on slotted baking sheet or over wire rack set atop a baking sheet. Bake to crisp.
Whisk up yolk, lemon juice and Dijon in a large bowl, and continue to whisk while slowly pouring in grapeseed oil. Season aioli with salt to taste.
To the aioli or mayo base, whisk in pasted garlic and the Sriracha sauce.
Combine beef with salt, pepper, paprika, grated onion, Worcestershire and drizzle with oil. Form 6 patties thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges for even cooking.
Heat a griddle or grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and cook burgers 8-12 minutes, rare to well.
Serve burgers on buns with bacon, lettuce, tomato and red onion; slather burger tops with Sriracha aioli.