Aired October 31, 2013
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion, half a palmful
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper, cayenne or espelette
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sage, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry, recommended brand DuFour, defrosted
- Sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- Red pepper jelly
- Warm marinara sauce
- Dijon or whole grain mustards
Season pork or turkey liberally with Kosher salt and combine with wine, fennel, onion, garlic, coriander, red pepper, black pepper, sage, thyme and a drizzle of EVOO. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Note: store-bought bulk Italian sausage can be substituted for homemade.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place rack in center of oven.
Working on a parchment paper, roll out 1 defrosted puff pastry and mound sausage down the middle. Cut strips about 1 inch wide on either side of the sausage and crisscross the dough as you pull it over the sausage, resulting in a mummy-like appearance. Transfer roll to a parchment-lined metal rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
Beat an egg with a splash of water, brush the dough and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake the sausage mummy 35-40 minutes until deep golden and cooked through. Cool to room temperature to slice.
Serve with a choice of condiments.