Aired October 29, 2013
- Prep time: 15 min. Cook Time: 25 Min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms cleaned and sliced (a mix of maitake, trumpet, enoki, shiitake and oyster)
- 1 cup chopped, well-washed leeks
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 1/2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, leeks, garlic, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, thyme and bay leaf, and sauté until the mushrooms become soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cashews, water or stock, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
Discard the thyme stems and bay leaf. Purée the soup in a blender, in batches if necessary, adjusting the consistency with more water or stock if desired.