Originally aired February 24, 2014
- 1 box whole wheat spaghetti
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 heads of broccoli tops shaved into crumbs (approximately 3/4 cup crumbs)
- 6 leaves basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, almonds or walnuts, crushed into sandy bits
- 5 tablespoons of grated Pecorino
- Salt, an adult-size pinch
- Black pepper, a few twists
- Lemon, some of its zest and half of it squeezed
Cook the spaghetti in a lot of water seasoned with a baby's handful of salt.
In a pan, warm half of the oil and add the onion, garlic, chili and broccoli top crumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and toss the drained spaghetti with the pesto. Feel free to squeeze a bit more lemon or drizzle some chili oil over the pasta to taste (which of course means I personally suggest this).