Originally aired July 11, 2014
- 1 rounded teaspoon anchovy paste or 4 anchovy filets, pasted
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 round teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 ripe lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted plus 2 cloves halved for rubbing bread
- Black pepper
- About 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some olive oil for brushing or natural olive oil spray and some for drizzling on bread
- A handful of grated Pecorino cheese
- 2 large hearts romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise and cleaned, dried
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, whisk up anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, lemon juice, garlic paste, pepper and stream in EVOO to emulsify; stir in cheese.
Char bread and rub with cut garlic. Drizzle with oil and season with salt.
Spray or brush the lettuce lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides to mark and char.
Bring a couple of inches of water in a skillet to low rolling boil with vinegar. Crack eggs into ramekins, whisk water in circles to swirl and slide eggs into simmering water. Poach 3-4 minutes for soft to medium eggs.
Serve charred romaine on plates topped with a garlic crouton, a poached egg and a little extra grated cheese.