Aaron McCargo, Jr.'s Brisket
Turn the leftovers into BBQ brisket quesadillas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) first-cut brisket, with "fat cap" (do not trim)
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus for brisket
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium yellow onions, cut into thin wedges with root end attached
- 1 1/2 cups sweet vermouth
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 medium carrots, peeled, and cut into thirds (14 ounces)
Yields: 6 servings
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the oil a large, heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke. Season the brisket generously with the paprika, salt, and pepper. Place fat side down in the Dutch oven and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 to10 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
Discard about half the fat, then add the onions and cook over medium heat until browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Pour in the vermouth and cook until reduced by about half. Nestle the brisket into the onions fat side up, add the broth; bring to a simmer and bake, covered, until the brisket is fork tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Uncover, scatter the carrots around the brisket and cook until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes more.
Transfer the brisket to a cutting board, cut the fat off the top and thinly slice the meat across the grain. Return the meat to the braising liquid and serve immediately or, cool to room temperature in the sauce, cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve reheat in the sauce.
Copyright (c) 2005 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook