Almondine Crumb Fish or Chicken and Rice Pilaf with Steamed Asparagus
This goes great with steamed asparagus tips or thin green beans.
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup thin spaghetti, broken into small pieces about 1 inch long
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 4 tilapia filets or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Old Bay seasoning, for fish or poultry seasoning, for chicken
- Flour, for dusting fish
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Yields: Serves 4
Melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a medium-size pot. Toast spaghetti bits until golden. Add rice and stir; then add stock and bring to a boil. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to simmer and cook 16-18 minutes, until tender. Fluff with a fork.
While the rice is cooking, toast nuts in small pan over medium heat and grind into crumbs in a food processor.
Pat fish dry and season with a little salt and Old Bay or season chicken with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
Dredge fish or chicken in the flour then coat first in the beaten egg and finally in the breadcrumbs mixed with the ground nuts, thyme and lemon zest.
Heat EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add remaining butter and melt into oil. Add breaded fish or chicken and cook until brown and crisp; 3 minutes on each side for fish, 4 minutes on each side for chicken. Douse with lemon juice. Serve with rice pilaf and veggie alongside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook