Bacon & Butternut Risotto
This fancy comfort food is sure to please just about anyone.
- 1 medium-large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Honey, for drizzling
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads
- 1/4 pound slab bacon or pancetta, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Place squash on baking sheet and dress with EVOO, salt, pepper, nutmeg and a drizzle of honey. Toss to combine then arrange in a single layer and roast to tender, 20 minutes. Remove half the squash to food processor and puree with a little water or stock.
Heat stock with saffron and 2 cups water in a saucepot. Keep warm over medium-low heat.
In a medium pot with rounded edges at bottom, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add bacon or pancetta and render to lightly crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add onions and garlic and stir to soften, 2-3 minutes more. Add rice and season with salt and pepper; toast 2 minutes, then stir in wine and let evaporate. Add a few ladles of stock at a time stirring rapidly with each addition to build starchy, creamy quality. Rice will take 18 minutes from first addition of liquid to cook to al dente.
Stir in squash puree and melt in butter. Add grated cheese and taste risotto for seasoning. Serve in shallow bowls garnished with reserved diced, roasted squash.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook