BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes with Cheesy Waffle Fries
A meal the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 20-ounce bag frozen waffle fries
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 crusty rolls, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- 3 to 4 dill pickles, chopped
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven for the waffle fries according to package directions. Arrange them on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook until nice and golden brown on both sides.
While the fries are cooking, heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and ground chicken. Using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, break the meat up into bite-size pieces so it browns evenly. When the meat has browned, add onion and pepper.
While the chicken and veggies are cooking, make the BBQ sauce: In a bowl, combine brown sugar, vinegar, grill seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
When the vegetables become tender, add the BBQ sauce to the skillet, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
While the Sloppy Joe filling is simmering, melt the butter in a medium-size saucepot. Add flour, cook 1-2 minutes over moderate heat, then whisk in the chicken stock and mustard. When the stock comes to a bubble and starts to thicken, stir in the cheese with a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and reserve for fries.
Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile the filling onto the toasted and buttered bun bottoms, and top with pickles. Cover the Sloppy Joes with the bun tops and serve with a handful of waffle fries topped with lots of cheese sauce alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook