Braised Chicken Drumsticks With Glazed Pears
Sophisticated flavors ... so simple to make.
- 6 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 12 chicken drumsticks, look for a family pack
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- 1/3 bottle dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock (eyeball it)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 Bosc pears, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Yields: 6 servings
Preheat a large pot or Dutch oven with 2 tablespoons of EVOO over medium-high heat.
Season the drumsticks with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish and coat the drumsticks, shaking off any excess. Add half of the coated chicken to the hot oil and brown on all sides. Once the chicken is browned all over, remove from the pot to a plate to reserve. Add another 2 tablespoons of EVOO to the pot and brown the second batch of drumsticks. Remove them to the plate with the first batch.
Add the last 2 tablespoons of EVOO to the pot. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until they begin to brown. Add the wine and reduce for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring up to a bubble. Add the browned chicken back to the pot, cover and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick.
While the chicken is cooking, make the glazed pears: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Add the pears and increase the heat to medium-high. Shake the pan, to make sure you coat all the pears in the glaze. Cook until the fruit is easily pierced with a knife.
To serve, place 3 drumsticks in a shallow serving bowl and top vegetables and sauce. Finish each dish with some of the glazed pears.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook