Broccoli and Cheddar Mac 'n' Cheese
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain penne with lines
- 2 bundles broccolini, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths or 1 large head of broccoli trimmed and cut into small florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
Yields: Serves 6
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente, according to package directions (about 10-12 minutes total, depending on the brand). When the pasta has been cooking a couple of minutes, add broccolini or broccoli to the water and finish cooking everything together, 8 minutes more.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk. Let sauce thicken to coat the back of a spoon, stir in 2 cups of cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Drain pasta and broccoli, and toss with the sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste. Place in a large casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese and chives or scallions. Place under the broiler to bubble and brown the top.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook