Carbonara Pasta-Frittata Pie and Tomato-Cucumber Salad
"My mom still remembers my grandpa Emmanuel's favorite breakfast: He would take leftover cold pasta, fry it in olive oil, then pour eggs over top with a sprinkle of cheese. My husband never met Emmanuel but this kind of meal is why they would have loved each other so – neither would have been able to get enough of it!"
- 1 package (about 3/4 pound) fresh linguine
- 6 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 pound chunk of pancetta, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- Black pepper
- A couple of handfuls flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, halved then sliced into half-moons
- 1/2 small to medium red onion, thinly sliced
Yields: 4 servings
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When it boils, salt the water liberally and add the pasta. Cook the pasta for 3-4 minutes or according to package directions; drain.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the EVOO in an ovenproof medium skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and crisp for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
Beat the eggs with the milk and season with a little salt and lots of black pepper. Add the drained pasta to the skillet and combine with the pancetta mixture. Scatter half the parsley into the pasta and pour the eggs over the mixture. Let the eggs settle and begin to firm up, then transfer the pan to the oven. Bake the frittata for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Return to the oven and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes, until golden.
Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion with the remaining parsley. Dress the salad with the remaining 3 tablespoons of EVOO and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Cut the frittata into 4 wedges and serve with salad alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook