Cheese & Caramelized Onion Pizza
An easy gourmet pizza you can make at home.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pizza dough, from your favorite pizza shop or store-bought
- 1/4 pound sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/4 pound gorgonzola cheese, crumbled into small pieces
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the butter and 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the sliced onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook; stirring frequently for 20-25 minutes or until very brown and caramelized. Remove from skillet and let cool slightly.
Drizzle a little EVOO on to the pizza dough and pull and stretch until almost the same size as the baking sheet pan. Drizzle the baking sheet pan with EVOO, then set crust in place. Poke the pizza dough in several areas with the tines of a fork. Season the dough with salt and pepper, and spread the caramelized onions on top. Top the onions with the prosciutto, then the fontina and gorgonzola cheese.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the dough is cooked through and the cheese melts, about 20 minutes. Remove, cut into portions and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook