Cheese and Green Chile Enchiladas
This recipe was featured in the March 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 3/4 pound Monterey jack, shredded (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- A small handful cilantro leaves, chopped, plus whole leaves for topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (about 1/3 palmful)
- Kosher Salt
- Vegetable oil or EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for warming tortillas
- 12 corn tortillas
- Thinly sliced jalapeño peppers and red onions, for topping
- 1 lime
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
In a medium bowl, combine the cheese, canned chilies, sour cream or crema, yellow onion, garlic, chopped cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper.
Heat 1/4 inch oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Using tongs, add 1 tortilla at a time, turning in the oil to soften for a few seconds. Drain on paper towels.
Dollop a few tablespoons of the cheese mixture onto each tortilla and roll up like a cigar (you will use about half to two-thirds of your filling). Arrange the enchiladas in a single layer in a casserole dish. Cover with the remaining cheese mixture and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Top with the jalapeños, red onions, whole cilantro leaves and lime juice.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook