Chicken and Pepperoni Super Subs
This hearty sub is quick, easy and kid-friendly, too!
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus additional for shallow frying of cutlets
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 small Fresno chili pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- A few leaves of fresh basil, torn
- 4 small pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup, 2 handfuls, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- A handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 Italian-style bread hoagie/sub rolls, 8 inches
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced pepperoni from the deli counter
- 8 slices provolone cheese from the deli counter
Yields: Serves 4 – well!
In a saucepot, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, chili pepper, oregano and soften 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and stir to combine, 1 minute. Add stock and tomatoes, season with a little salt and stir in a couple of leaves of torn basil. Simmer to thicken, 30 minutes.
Season cutlets with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour then eggs then breadcrumbs combined with Parm and parsley. Heat a thin layer of olive oil in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook cutlets in batches, a few minutes on each side until deeply golden. Transfer to racks.
Turn broiler on. Split rolls open, leaving them hinged at back. Top each with some sauce, a layer of pepperoni and sliced provolone. Place under broiler to melt cheese. Top with cutlets and serve, passing extra sauce at table.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook