Chicken and Portobello Fajitas
Tossing the chicken with the chili powder and garlic before it hits the skillet lets the flavors sink into this simple summer dish.
This recipe was featured in Rach's Weeknight Meal Planner.
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 package (12 oz.) flour tortillas
- 3 tbsp. EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large italian frying peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 portobello mushroom caps (about 4-inch), sliced 1/4 inch thick (Shop Savvy! Buy presliced portobellos (often only pennies more than whole) to save on prep time.)
- 1 container (7oz.) whole-milk greek yogurt, for serving*
Yields: Serves 4
In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with half of the garlic and the chili powder.
Wrap the tortillas in a sheet of foil, place in the oven and turn on to 350°. Let them warm while you cook the chicken and vegetables.
Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 1/2 tbsp. EVOO and the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. EVOO, the remaining garlic, the frying peppers and onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to char, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is hot, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chicken-vegetable mixture with the warmed tortillas and yogurt.
*You can add these common pantry items to the yogurt to doctor up your sauce: 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook