Chicken Paprikash with Gnocchi
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-off chicken (legs and thighs or thighs and breast)
- Salt and pepper
- Flour for dredging chicken, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cubanelle Italian frying pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh refrigerated gnocchi
- A few grates of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, a couple of handfuls of leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
Yields: Serves 4
Skin the chicken pieces if the butcher did not do it for you; then season liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in flour and shake off excess.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in large Dutch oven over medium-high to high heat. Add 4 pieces of chicken and brown them on both sides, then remove to a plate. Add another tablespoon EVOO and brown remaining chicken pieces. Reserve all the browned chicken on a plate.
Reduce heat under pan a little and add 2 tablespoons butter. Add peppers, onions and garlic to butter. Add 2 tablespoons flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper and paprika, and stir in wine. Cook 30 seconds then add tomatoes and stock, and whisk to combine sauce. Slide reserved chicken into pot and reduce heat to simmer, medium-low. Cover pot and cook 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Bring a pot of water to a boil for gnocchi. Boil gnocchi 3-4 minutes until they float to top of pan and drain well.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add gnocchi, season with salt, nutmeg and add parsley. Cook 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally.
Add a couple of ladles of chicken sauce to a bowl and stir in sour cream. Add bowl contents back to the pot and gently stir to combine. Turn off heat.
Serve chicken topped with sauce and with gnocchi alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook