Chicken Tortilla Stew (Speedy Version)
While this quick and easy meal makes a great weeknight dinner, the extended version of the same meal has depth of flavor that can't be found in a box.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce jar good quality roasted tomatillo salsa (such as Desert Pepper Trading Company or Frontera brand)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 13.5-ounce bag of yellow or white corn tortilla chips
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat removed from the bones and chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3/4 cup sour cream, for garnish
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Yields: 4 servings
Place a large pot over medium heat, add EVOO. Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño, and season with coriander, cumin, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
Add the tomatillo salsa, chicken stock and hominy to the pot and bring to a bubble.
While the mixture is coming to a bubble, place the tortilla chips (reserving a handful for garnish) in a food processor and pulse to grind, or in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or empty wine bottle. You should have about 2 cups of ground chips. Add the ground chips to the mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
When ready to serve, add the chopped chicken to the pot along with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of cilantro and the lime juice, and cook 2-3 more minutes, until the chicken is heated through.
To serve, ladle the tortilla chicken stew into a bowl and garnish with some of the reserved tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream and some cheddar cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook