Chili Con Queso Fondue
This snack is a great way to use up leftover meat -- of any kind!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (eyeball it)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups leftover meat (steak, chicken, pork – whatever you’ve got), chopped or shredded up into bite-size pieces
- For dipping:
- Tortilla chips
- Spinach flour tortillas
- Pretzel rods
- Veggie sticks (bell peppers, carrots, celery – whatever you like)
- Cherry tomatoes
Yields: 4-6 snack-size servings
Place a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño and sauté until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes.
- If your fondue pot can be used on the stovetop, you can cook the veggies right in that!
While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk the chicken stock into the butter-flour mixture, add salt and freshly ground black pepper, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook until thickened, a couple of minutes.
Add the leftover meat to the gravy and cook until heated through. Mix in the shredded cheese and simmer until all of the cheese has melted, about 1 minute. Remove the cheesy gravy from the heat and keep warm.
When the veggies are tender, add the tomato sauce and chili powder and simmer until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
Once the veggie mixture is cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cheese gravy. Serve in a fondue pot and eat it up with your choice of dippers.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook