Chili Red Lentil Soup
Comedian Russell Brand is in the kitchen helping Rachael whip this tasty dish up!
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, unseeded, very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon turmeric, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/3 palmful
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound spinach leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, a couple of handfuls
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, a generous handful
- 1 cup thick Greek plain yogurt
- Plain or garlic Naan bread (available in packaged breads section of larger markets) or other flat bread brushed
- Melted butter, for brushing
Yields: Serves 4
Heat oil, a couple of turns of the pan, or butter in a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, onions, garlic and chili pepper, and season liberally with salt and lightly with black pepper. Cook to soften, 8-10 minutes.
Add spices and stir a minute or 2 then stir in tomato paste and cook a minute more. Add lentils and stock, and bring soup to a boil. Cook until lentils are very tender, 40 minutes or so, wilt in spinach, turn off heat.
While soup cooks, process mint, cilantro and yogurt in food processor or blender into a sauce. Add salt to taste.
Griddle-toast the bread according to package directions then brush bread with melted butter.
Serve soup in shallow bowls topped with cool yogurt sauce and buttered Naan bread alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook