Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken
Instead of ordering take-out, make your own!
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 onion, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup regular or honey-roasted cashews
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
Yields: 4 servings
Place a large skillet over high heat with 2 turns of the pan of oil, about 2 tablespoons. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add in the meat and stir-fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and reserve on a plate.
Add another tablespoon of oil, then add the bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet and stir-fry until tender-crisp, 3 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the hot sauce, tamari, Hoisin sauce, orange marmalade and stock.
Return the chicken to the skillet and pour the sauce into pan. Add the cashews to the skillet, toss to coat and continue cooking until the sauce thickens up, about 1 minute more.
Serve the stir-fry over brown rice, garnish with scallions.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook