Cobb Pasta Toss
Rachael turns a favorite summer salad into a pasta dish that satisfies all year round.
- 3 pints grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 pound penne or whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 4 to 5 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat an oven to 400ºF. Place a large pot of salted water over high heat to boil.
Scatter the tomatoes onto a baking sheet and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons EVOO and some salt and pepper. Toss lightly to coat and roast them in the hot oven until they burst open and are tender, 12-15 minutes.
Place the bacon on a broiler pan and transfer to the oven as well. Cook until crispy, about 15 minutes.
While the tomatoes and bacon are in the oven, drop the pasta in the boiling water and cook to al dente according to package directions. When the pasta is ready, reserve a large mug of the starchy cooking water and then drain the pasta and return it to the pot it was cooked in.
While the pasta is cooking, season chicken pieces with salt and ground black pepper. Heat a large skillet with one turn of the pan of EVOO, add the chicken and sauté until golden brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, scoop the avocado flesh into a small bowl and squeeze the juice of the lemon over it, tossing to coat.
When the chicken is finished cooking, add garlic to the pan, cook for 1 minute, then sprinkle in a few dashes of hot sauce and toss to coat.
In a large serving bowl, mash cooked tomatoes together with scallions, add the pasta water and pasta.
Top with chicken, crumble the cooked bacon over it, and toss with the avocado, blue cheese, basil and parsley.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook