Confetti Shrimp with Greens & Grits
Spicy shrimp cooked with tangy beer and spices, along with seared kale and quick cooking polenta make for an updated, healthy version of shrimp and grits with bacon or sausages.
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 bundle dinosaur, Tuscan or black kale or other dark, leafy green, stemmed and shredded
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 small chili pepper, red Fresno or jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup drained sweet peppadew peppers (small pickled peppers), finely diced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon, a scant palmful, smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon, a scant palmful, ground coriander
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 orange or lemon
- 1 cup white or golden beer, such as Blue Moon
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons honey
Yields: Serves 4
In a saucepot, bring water to a low boil.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. Add kale and wilt, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Reduce heat to low.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon EVOO in another skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook to tender crisp, 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Pat shrimp dry, season with salt, pepper, paprika and coriander. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon EVOO to the skillet, half a turn over high heat. Add shrimp and toss 3-4 minutes until firm and blackened at edges. Add hot sauce then douse pan with orange juice and beer. Add vegetables back to pan, reduce heat and add 2 tablespoons butter. Keep warm and bubbling over low heat.
Add milk to the saucepot with the water and raise heat. Whisk in polenta until it thickens, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in honey and melt in a tablespoon of butter.
Serve polenta in shallow bowls and top with some greens and a pile of confetti shrimp.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook