Cowboy Spaghetti With Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Chili and cheese ... over pasta. Yum-O!
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 1 turn of the pan
- 3 slices smoky bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1/2 bottle pale beer (eyeball it)
- 1 can, 14 ounces chopped or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
Yields: 4 servings
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt, then the pasta and cook spaghetti until al dente according to package directions.
Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and bacon. Brown and crisp bacon, about 5 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve. Drain off a little excess fat if necessary but leave just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the sirloin and crumble it with a wooden spoon as it browns, 3-4 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, and season with salt, pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire, chili powder and cumin. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Add the beer, cook for 1 minute more then add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring up to a bubble and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
While the meat sauce is cooking, make the cheese sauce: Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat and add butter. When the butter melts, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and then the milk. Thicken for 2 minutes then stir in the cheese and melt, for another 2 minutes. Stir in the jalapenos and scallions. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Drain spaghetti, add to the meat sauce and combine.
Pour into a large serving bowl and pour the cheddar cheese sauce over the top.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook