Creamy Spinach Fettuccine
This vegetarian dinner is satisfying enough for meat-lovers!
- 2 bundles spinach, cleaned and trimmed of stems
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1 pound spinach tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a handful for tossing with pasta and more to pass at table
Yields: 4 servings
Bring a pot of water to boil for pasta. Add salt, blanch the spinach and basil for 1 minute then transfer greens with tongs or a spider to large bowl of ice water to cold-shock it. Remove spinach and basil to a clean kitchen towel and wring dry. Chop or thinly slice. Add more water to pot if necessary for the pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 turns of the pan EVOO. Add shallots and garlic and sauté 3-4 minutes. Add wine and stir 1 minute. Add cream, bring to a bubble then reduce heat to simmer and keep over a low boil 7-8 minutes while pasta cooks. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Cook pasta to al dente. Using tongs, add the pasta directly into the skillet with the sauce along with a ladleful of starchy cooking water, the spinach, basil and cheese. Toss vigorously for 1-2 minutes to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste then serve, passing extra cheese at the table.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook