Decadent Pumpkin Gnocchi
This tasty gnocchi dish is a whole new way to enjoy pasta!
- 2 pounds butternut, kuri squash or sugar pumpkin, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon
- A few sprigs fresh sage, very thinly sliced
- 2 bundles farm fresh spinach trimmed and washed or 3/4 pound bagged spinach, stemmed
- 1 pound good quality fresh gnocchi
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for topping
Yields: Serves 4 -6
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
On a baking sheet, toss squash with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Roast 30 minutes, turning once. Remove squash, turn off oven and place a large platter in the oven to warm for a few minutes.
When the squash has been in the oven about 15 minutes, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat a skillet or pot with butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook gently 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and stir 1 minute, then add cream and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to keep cream at a rolling simmer and let reduce 7-8 minutes, until cream coats the back of spoon.
When the water comes to a boil, add salt and, working in batches, add spinach and wilt for 30 seconds. Remove to a plate with spider or tongs and drain. To the same pot of water, add gnocchi and cook until they float and are hot through, about 3 minutes.
Remove warm platter from oven. Arrange most of the roast squash and spinach on the platter. Then, toss drained gnocchi with sauce and arrange on top of the squash and spinach. Garnish with remaining squash and spinach and lots of freshly grated cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook