Deviled Ham and Asparagus Croque Madame with Deviled Eggs
Serve with Deviled Eggs alongside or topped with eggs over-easy.
- 1 bundle thin asparagus, trimmed of tough stems
- 1/2 pound mild ham, such as French ham or other imported mild ham or boiled ham, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pasted or grated
- 1 small fresh chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons mustard, Dijon or yellow
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palmful
- About 2 tablespoons parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 4 slices good quality white bread or white peasant style bread, such as Amy’s Bread
Bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Salt it and cook asparagus 2-3 minutes. Cold shock, drain and reserve.
Heat oven to 400°F.
Place ham in a food processor with onion, garlic, chili, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, paprika, parsley and thyme. Pulse process into finely chopped Deviled Ham.
Heat butter in medium skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, raise heat a bit, and season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Thicken to coat spoon, adjust seasonings and stir in half of the total amount of each of the cheeses.
Arrange bread on a baking sheet, top with ham, asparagus tips and a layer of thickened sauce. Sprinkle on a little extra of each of the cheeses and bake the croques until brown and bubbly. Serve with Deviled Eggs alongside or topped with eggs over-easy.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook