Drop Biscuit Top Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or lamb
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- For the Biscuit Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups self-rise flour
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
Heat EVOO in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown and crumble. Add Worcestershire, vegetables, garlic and bay; season with salt and pepper and cook partially covered 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Heat another skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Melt butter and add mushrooms; cook to tender and golden. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, and stir in flour. Deglaze with sherry or wine, add stock and thicken a bit. Pour into meat, stir to combine and remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a bowl, combine flour with butter with your fingertips for the biscuits. Stir in milk, salt, pepper and herbs until dough forms.
Arrange meat and mushroom mixture in a casserole dish. Top with 1 1/2-inch pieces of dough scattered about the top. Bake 20-25 minutes until biscuit top is light golden and cooked through.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook