Eggplant Curry with Toasted Almonds
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in a slow, steady stream) extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large, firm eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup (a couple of heaping tablespoons) mango chutney
- 1 rounded tablespoon mild curry paste or 2 tablespoons (a generous palmful) curry powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons (a handful) cilantro leaves, finely chopped, optional
- Toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- Thinly sliced scallions or chopped fresh chives
Yields: 4 servings
Heat a deep, heavy bottomed nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil, eggplant, onion and bell pepper. Cover pan and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes, chutney, curry, salt and broth. Stir to combine and simmer for 1-2 minutes over low heat for flavors to combine. Remove curry from heat and stir in cilantro. Ladle eggplant curry into shallow bowls. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop rice balls into the center of bowls. Garnish with lots of toasted sliced almonds and scallions or chives.
Curry paste is available in the international food aisle of markets. The paste is deep red in color and will keep several months in the refrigerator.
If you want to purchase just enough almonds to top this one recipe, check out the baking aisle of your market and look for either slivered or sliced almonds in a small 3-ounce pouch.
Major Grey's mango chutney is available under many different brand names and can be found on both condiment and international food aisles of your market.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook