Exotic Saffron Scented Pasta with Lentils
The addition of saffron gives the pasta extra flavor and color.
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle pasta or other wide egg pasta
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped or grated
- 1 small chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 sweet pepper, very finely chopped, red or yellow in color
- 1/2 palmful coriander, about 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/3 palmful cumin, about 1 teaspoon
- A handful of fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish, coarsely chopped
- Optional topping for mixing into pasta: spoonfuls of thick plain Greek yogurt
Yields: Serves 4
Rinse lentils and place in pot. Cover lentils with water and bring to a boil, season water with salt and cook to tender, about 25-30 minutes. Rinse well and drain.
Place saffron threads, stock and zest of 1 lemon in a small pot and heat to low boil. Then reduce heat to low and keep stock warm.
When lentils are done, bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Season water with salt and cook pasta to al dente.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO, a turn of the pan, over medium heat then melt butter into the oil and add onions, garlic, chili pepper and sweet pepper, then season with salt and pepper and sauté 5 minutes. Add lentils and season with coriander, cumin and adjust salt to taste.
Add saffron broth and juice of 1 lemon and cooked pasta. Toss the pasta a minute or 2 with lentils and serve in shallow bowls with cilantro and yogurt on top for mixing in.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook