Firecracker Deviled Corn Dogs
- Frying oil, enough to go 2 1/2 inches up the sides of a long or wide pot or pan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons, 2/3 palmful, Coleman’s dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons, 2/3 palmful, paprika
- 1 teaspoon, 1/3 palmful, cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon hot sauce added with liquids
- 1 teaspoon, 1/3 palmful, onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon, 1/3 palmful, garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 8 all natural hot dogs, beef or pork
- 8 8- to 10-inch bamboo or wooden skewers, trimmed so they fit in the pot
- BBQ sauce and yellow mustard or jalapeno mustard for dipping or drizzling dogs
Yields: Makes 8 corn dogs
Heat oil to between medium and medium-high heat for frying. Preheat oven to 250°F.
Sift flour, sugar and baking powder into a bowl and combine with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), and onion and garlic powders. Stir in cornmeal.
In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, hot sauce (if using) and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Stir the wet into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Pat dogs dry, skewer them then dip to coat in the batter. Fry 2-3 dogs at a time in the hot oil to deep golden all over, 4-5 minutes. Drain cooked dogs on cooling rack set over a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven.
Serve dogs with sauces for dipping or drizzling.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook