French-Toast Grilled Cheese with Apples
Rachael makes this comfort-food snack for the first mystery taster of Season 5!
- 8 slices good quality white bread, each about 1/2-inch thick
- Combine 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup with 1/3 cup stone ground mustard OR use 2/3 cup fig spread
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, sliced
- 1 apple, such as Gala, Honeycrisp or McIntosh, very thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-n-half or whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- A generous pinch cinnamon
Yields: Makes 16 appetizer bites
Spread maple mustard or fig spread on bread slices. Build 4 cheese and apple sandwiches.
Heat a griddle pan over medium heat.
Beat eggs with half-n-half or milk and season with nutmeg and cinnamon. Turn sandwiches in the egg and cook in melted butter on hot griddle pan. Grill sandwiches until deeply golden and the cheese has melted.
Cut sandwiches into triangles or 4 square pieces to serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook