Garlic Sliced Steak with Watercress and Horseradish Baby Potatoes
It's steak and potatoes -- with a kick!
- 2 pounds baby potatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup EVOO, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, about 1 inch thick, patted dry
- Flour, for coating
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine (eyeball it)
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed of root ends
- 1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- 3 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
Yields: 4 servings
In a large pot, add the potatoes and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, add some salt and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, and the garlic. Over medium heat, fry the garlic until golden and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate. Reserve the skillet with the oil.
On a cutting board, slice the steak thinly crosswise. Toss with a little flour and the paprika. Heat the reserved oil over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the meat until browned all over, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a warm platter.
Stir the tomato paste into the skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Pour the sauce over the steak. Top with the watercress and reserved garlic chips.
Mash the potatoes with the sour cream, milk, horseradish and most of the chives and season with salt. Sprinkle the remaining chives on top. Serve alongside steak.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook