Grilled Meatball Caesar Salad
Meatballs take the place of croutons in this dinner salad.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef, pork, and veal combined (you can also use ground chicken)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 cup roasted garlic croutons, pulverized
- 1/2 bunch (about a handful) of parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin and grated with Microplane or small side of box grater, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- A few shots of hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat grill to high.
In a nonstick skillet, cook chopped bacon pieces over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and reserve.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the ground meat with the egg, 1 clove of grated garlic, half of the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, the bacon, the crushed croutons, the chopped parsley, and some salt and pepper.
Mix all ingredients together with clean hands and roll into 12 medium-size meatballs, each about 2 inches round. Drizzle the meatballs with EVOO and grill for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. If using ground chicken, make sure that they are fully cooked through.
While the meatballs are grilling, whisk the lemon zest and juice, the remaining clove of grated garlic, mustard, anchovy paste, hot sauce and Worcestershire together then stream in the EVOO.
Coat the romaine in the dressing then season with pepper and a handful of grated cheese to taste. Top salad with meatballs and serve.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook