Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
Serve these as a party starter or a meal unto themselves.
- 12 whole chicken wings from meat case of market (drumettes and tips)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (2 turns of the pan)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup spicy deli mustard (eyeball it)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 tablspoons soy sauce (eyeball it)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons honey (a healthy drizzle)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilatnro or flat-leaf parsley (a handful)
- 2 to 3 tablspoons chopped chives
Yields: 4 servings, 3 wings per person
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Preheat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Liberally season the chicken wings with salt and pepper. Once the skillet is screaming hot add the oil, then the wings in a single, even layer. Brown the wings for 3 minutes per side.
While the wings are browning, assemble the sauce: In a small pot combine the mustard, orange juice, ginger, hot sauce, soy sauce, hot red pepper flakes and honey. Bring up to a simmer over high heat, then lower the heat and keep the sauce warm until the wings are done browning. Remove the ginger from the sauce.
After the wings brown, drain off some of the fat and drippings.
Pour the simmering sauce over the browned wings. Place the skillet in the oven and roast the wings for 20 minutes, flipping them once halfway through the cooking time.
Remove the wings from the oven. Toss the wings around in the sauce and finish with the fresh cilantro or parsley and the chives.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook