Hot Dog Hush Puppies
- Frying oil, enough to fill a tabletop fryer or go 2 1/2 inches up the sides of a long or wide pot or pan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Coleman’s dry mustard, 2/3 palmful,
- 2 teaspoons paprika, 2/3 palmful,
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/3 palmful, or 1 tablespoon hot sauce (add with liquids)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic, 1/3 palmful
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 8 all-natural hot dogs, beef or pork, finely chopped
- BBQ sauce and yellow mustard or jalapeño mustard for dipping or drizzling
Yields: about 24 hush puppies
Heat oil to between medium and medium-high heat (about 335°-340°F) for frying. Preheat oven to 250°F.
Whisk flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and combine with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), and onion and garlic powders. Stir in cornmeal.
In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, milk, hot sauce (if using) and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Stir the wet into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until smooth, then stir in the chopped hot dogs.
With a small ice cream scoop or a heaping tablespoon, scoop heaping, rounded spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil in batches. Fry to deep golden all over, 3-4 minutes. Drain hush puppies on cooling rack set over a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while you finish the rest of the batter.
Serve with sauces for dipping or drizzling.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook