Hot 'N Sour Chicken Soup
Try this make-your-own takeout meal tonight!
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle, for wide noodles or whole wheat spaghetti, for a heartier soup
- 6 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, half a palmful
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil, divided
- A couple of handfuls of button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 1/4 cup Tamari or low-sodium Tamari, eyeball it
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- A couple of handfuls crispy bean sprouts
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, to pass at table
Yields: Serves 4
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Once boiling, add some salt and the pasta. Cook to al dente.
Meanwhile, trim chicken and season with salt, pepper and coriander. Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil, a turn of the pan, in a large, deep skillet or wok over high heat. Add chicken and cook 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a cutting board and reserve.
Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, a turn of the skillet, and stir-fry mushrooms a few minutes to soften and brown. Stir in ginger and garlic, toss a minute or two more then add vinegar. Stir, add Tamari and stock, and bring to a boil.
Thinly slice the chicken on an angle into strips. Add chicken to soup. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into broth. Let thicken a minute more. Add scallions and bean sprouts to soup and turn off heat.
Twist a bundle of noodles up around tongs or a serving fork and pile into individual bowls. Ladle soup over the noodles and garnish with cilantro and lime juice. Pass hot sauce at the table.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook