Hungry Girl's Apple Onion Stuffing
per serving (1 cup): 108 calories, 1g fat, 206mg sodium, 24g carbs, 4.25g fiber, 12g sugars, 3g protein
- 6 slices light bread (40 to 45 calories each with at least 2 grams fiber per slice)
- 4 cups chopped Fuji apples
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup fat-free chicken broth, room temperature (plus extra if needed)
- 1/4 cup raisins (not packed)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Yields: Makes 8 servings
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Lightly toast bread slices. Cut into cubes and set aside.
Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add celery, onion, shallots, garlic, and salt. Sauté veggies for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove pot from heat and add apples, raisins, and parsley. Mix well. Add broth and egg substitute, and stir thoroughly.
Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick spray. Transfer veggie mixture from the pot to the baking dish. Add bread cubes and fold in gently. The bread cubes should be moist but not saturated. Add a few extra tablespoons of broth to coat, if needed.
Let stuffing mixture sit at room temperature for several minutes, allowing bread cubes to absorb some of the moisture.
Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and, using a fork, gently fluff and rearrange stuffing. Return to oven, uncovered. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until top is golden brown.
While stuffing is still warm, mix gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Devour!
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook