Inside-Out Sausage Chops
It's sausage and peppers deconstructed!
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thickly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thickly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thickly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, about 1 1/2 inches thick (ask your butcher for these)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, shaved
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat an oven to 400ºF.
Place the peppers on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, preheat 2 tablespoons EVOO, about two turns of the pan. Season the pork chops with salt and freshly ground black pepper, transfer to the hot pan and sear until brown on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side.
Transfer the chops to a sheet pan and allow them to finish cooking in the oven about 10 minutes (if using thinner chops, reduce your cooking time). Once the chops are cooked through, cover them with foil to keep them warm until ready to serve.
In the same pan the chops were cooked in, heat the remaining tablespoon EVOO, about one turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the sliced onion, fennel seed, garlic and red pepper flakes, and sauté until tender. Tent the onions with a piece of foil as they sauté so they slightly caramelize.
To serve, place one pork chop on each plate and top with caramelized onions and a sprinkling of shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Serve the roasted peppers alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook