Irish Pub Meatloaf
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 3 to 4 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- About 3/4 cup, half a bottle, stout beer
- 4 slices, about an inch thick, good quality white bread, stale or lightly toasted and torn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 pound deli-cut corned beef brisket, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup grated Irish sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 pound good quality, thinly sliced smoky bacon, get it at your butcher counter
Yields: Serves 6 - 8
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Heat EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add celery, onion, carrot and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and sauté to soften, 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in beer and stir. Let beer reduce by half. Turn off heat and let cool.
Meanwhile, soak the bread in milk and grind the corned beef in a food processor, pulsing to finely chop. Place corned beef and ground beef in a bowl and add cheese. Wring out the bread and add it to the meat, crumbling it into small crumbs over the bowl. Add veggies and beer then season with salt, pepper, mustard, cayenne and Worcestershire. Add eggs then mix with your hands to combine.
Form meat into a long brick shape about 4 inches high on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Wrap bacon slices across the top then around sides of the loaf. Bake 1 hour in the middle of the oven then switch on broiler for a few minutes to crisp up that bacon!
Serve with mashed potatoes and parsnips, and sautéed cabbage with caraway alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook