Slowcook-ivor Recipe: Lauren's Pulled Pork
This recipe was featured on Rachael's Slowcook-ivor competition!
- 2 yellow onions, 1 sliced, divided and 1 chopped
- 3- to 4-pound pork butt
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Ground mustard
- Whole cloves
- 1 cup ginger ale, such as Canada Dry or Root Beer, such as Boylan's
- Your favorite barbeque sauce (my top choices are: Sweet Baby Rays Original or Sweet/Spicy and Sticky Fingers- Memphis Style)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sandwich Bread- I prefer Ciabatta bread (use a light glaze of olive oil and garlic)
- Some Fun Additions:
- Sandwich or oval kosher dill pickles (optional)
- Banana peppers (optional)
- Provolone cheese (optional)
Cut one onion in slices place at bottom of crockpot. Season the pork with salt, pepper, garlic, little bit of ground mustard and add a few cloves along the crease of the pork. Place pork in crockpot ontop of the onions and place the rest of the onion slices on top of the pork.
Add ginger ale or root beer. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 9-11 hours. Depends on the size of the pork and how long you have to cook it. I recommend slow/low- Start it first thing in the morning and its ready for dinner!
You can turn the pork over for a more even cook halfway through. Try not to open the lid to much despite how AMAZING it will smell.
Once pork is cooked through remove it from the crockpot. Empty out the liquid and shred apart the pork using your hands/fork! Dice up your second onion and place it in the crockpot.
Mix barbeque sauce with Worcestershire, to taste, and add to the slow cooker along with the shredded pork. Mix it all up and keep on low heat for minimum of 1-2 hours.
Toast ciabatta bread, rub lightly with garlic clove and drizzle very lightly with olive oil.
Cut up and top bread with shredded pork. Make a sandwich or eat open-faced topped with Provolone cheese, pickles, banana peppers or more sauce!
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook