Lentils with Winter Pesto and Braised Sausages
The combination of the pesto and the sausages is perfect with warm lentils.
- 1/2 pound green or tiny French lentils
- 1 cup packed watercress or arugula
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup tarragon or mint leaves, a handful
- A handful of walnuts, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely grated or pasted
- A handful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 to 6 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 8 links fresh lamb, pork or chicken sausage
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Crusty bread
Yields: Serves 4
Boil lentils in salted water to just tender, 30-40 minutes depending on size. Drain and rinse.
Meanwhile, process watercress or arugula, herbs, nuts, garlic, salt and pepper, cheese, nutmeg and about 1/4 to 1/3 cup EVOO in a food processor.
Place sausages in skillet and add 1/2 inch water and a drizzle of EVOO. Boil sausages to cook through. Once water cooks away, the casings will crisp in EVOO.
Once lentils are cooked, heat a turn of the pan EVOO in a skillet and add carrot, celery, onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to tender, add lentils, stir in watercress or arugula pesto and remove from heat.
Serve lentils in shallow bowls with sliced sausages on top and some crusty bread alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook