Mac 'n' Cheese Burger Sliders
Serve these with Double Baked Crazy-Crisp Oven Fries alongside.
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- A scant handful parsley, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or very finely chopped or pasted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion
- Coarse salt and lots of coarse black pepper
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 pound small elbow macaroni or ditalini or small elbow whole wheat macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1 cup very sharp yellow or white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup, about a handful, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Ketchup, for topping (optional)
- Bacon-Tomato Jam, for topping (optional)
- 12 slider-size burger buns or split brioche rolls
Yields: Serves 6
Combine meat with Worcestershire, parsley, garlic, onion -- grate directly over bowl to catch juices -- some salt and lots of pepper. Form 8 3-ounce patties, making them thinner at center and thicker at edges for even cooking. Drizzle patties with EVOO.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or large griddle pan over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, boil a medium pot of water and add salt. Undercook pasta by a minute or so from package directions – just shy of al dente. Drain and reserve.
While pasta cooks, melt butter in a small pot over medium heat, sprinkle in flour and whisk 30 seconds. Whisk in milk and season sauce with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Melt cheese into sauce to combine then turn off heat, stir in Dijon. Fold in reserved macaroni.
Cook meat patties in the hot skillet for 3 minutes on each side for medium. Serve on buns or rolls topped with some mac and cheese and a dot of ketchup or some Bacon-Tomato Jam, if you wish. Secure bun or roll tops with toothpicks and anchor a slice of pickle atop the burgers for a cheeky presentation.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook