Mario Batali’s Black Kale with Ricotta
This recipe is from Mario’s latest book Molto Gusto.
- 1 1/2 pounds cavolo nero (also called lacinato or Tuscan kale) or regular kale
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 1 red finger chile or serrano chile, thinly sliced
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta
Yields: Serves 6
Trim the kale, removing the tough stems and ribs, and coarsely chop it.
Combine 2 tablespoons of the oil, the garlic, and chile in a large pot. Add the kale, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until it is beginning to wilt. Season with salt, add 3/4 cup water, cover, and cook until the kale is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, put the ricotta in a small bowl and whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. If necessary, whisk in up to 2 tablespoons warm water to loosen the consistency.
Spread the ricotta on a serving plate, spoon the kale over it, and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook