Meat and Potato Cupcakes
Try this dinner version of cupcakes!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for brushing
- 1 Gala apple, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, about a palmful
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Poppy seeds, for garnish
Yields: Serves 6
Preheat oven to 425˚F.
Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Salt water and cook potatoes to tender.
Brush the inside of a 12-cup muffin tin with EVOO.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO. Add apples, celery and onion, and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine turkey with breadcrumbs, egg, poultry seasoning, softened apples, celery and onion mixture, salt and pepper. Separate mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into muffin cups. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Drain cooked sweet potatoes and put into a food processor. Add buttermilk, honey, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and purée.
When cool enough to handle, remove muffins from cups and “frost” mini meatloaves with sweet potato purée. Roll the sides in herbs and top with poppy seeds.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook