Meat-Free Fajitos (Fajita-Style Burritos)
This recipe was featured in the March 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 1/4 cup corn oil or EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped and caps sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound Manchego cheese, shredded
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- A small handful cilantro, chopped
In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, the bell pepper and onion, and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the jalapeño, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the sherry to deglaze the pan; lower the heat to a simmer. Meanwhile, char the tortillas on each side over an open flame or in a dry skillet.
Fill the hot tortillas with the Manchego, mushroom filling, tomato and cilantro. Tuck in the sides, wrap and roll tightly into a burrito.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook