Mexican Chicken Pot Pies
A comfort food inspired by Mexico!
- 3 pieces chicken breast, bone-in, skin on
- 2 medium onions, 1 halved, 1 chopped
- 2 carrots, 1 peeled and cut into thick pieces, 1 chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- 1 lime, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, 1 crushed, remainder finely chopped
- 1 cup corn scraped from cob or defrosted kernels
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons purée of chipotle in adobo, to your taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons butter
Place chicken in a pot with halved onion, carrot chunks, celery, jalapeno, lime slices, bay leaves, crushed garlic and just enough water to cover. Season with salt, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer and poach 40 minutes. Remove solids and reduce stock over high heat for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425¬ºF.
Remove skin and bones from chicken and slice or pull into bite-sized pieces.
Heat butter in medium skillet over medium high heat, add chopped onions, carrots, garlic and corn, and cook to tender, 10 minutes or so. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes. Whisk in about 2 cups of the reduced stock then add cream and chipotle. Taste and adjust the chipotle, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken and reduce heat to low.
Line a baking sheet with parchment or use a nonstick baking sheet. Roll out puff pastry sheet on a floured surface. Cut out rounds the size of the bowls you wish to serve in and arrange them on the baking sheet. Brush pastry with egg wash and bake to golden.
Serve chicken in bowls topped with pastry rounds.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook