Mexican Pulled Pork Stew with Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 2- to 3-pound boneless pork shoulder
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed or ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 onions, 1 thinly sliced and 1 chopped
- 1 bottle of beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin, a palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a palmful
- 3 14-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies or diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 14-ounce cans hominy
- 1 14-ounce can pinto beans
- For serving:
- Chopped cilantro or scallions
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar
- Lime wedges
- Charred flour or corn tortillas
Bring meat to room temp and preheat oven to 300ºF.
Season the meat with salt and pepper. Combine the paprika with 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1/3 palmful, with fennel and granulated garlic. Rub spices into meat.
Place pork in a roasting pan, top with sliced onion. Add beer to pan and cover tightly with foil. Roast pork 4-5 hours until very tender. Cool to handle and shred.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with oil. Add chopped onions and sliced garlic to pan and season with salt and pepper, remaining teaspoon Mexican oregano, cumin and coriander. Process tomatoes in a food processor until smooth. Add stock, tomatoes, hominy and pinto beans to the pot Add the shredded pork and reserved pan juices. Simmer to thicken and combine flavors, 30-40 minutes.
Serve the soup in shallow bowls with lots of cilantro, cheese and lime with tortillas for wrapping.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook